Thursday, November 16, 2006

A funny thing happened on the way to the opera...

I went to the opera tonight. It was Rossini's "Cinderella".

On the way there, I stopped at the Home Depot that is close to the Jubilee Auditorium, where I was headed. You see, I'm changing the hardware on my cupboards to update their look a bit. (Part of the preparations to get the house ready to sell...)

Anyway, I picked out these new handles last weekend. They're nice, sleek, and look like brushed steel. Much more modern than what was on there before.

Turns out, when I got them home, some fit, but some were longer than the rest. Exact same style and look, just longer. It wasn't by much, maybe half an inch or so. But it was enough that they wouldn't fit my cupboard doors. And naturally, they were all in the same bin together at the store... and their codes were one number off (a fact I did not notice until later).

So, I took the wrong ones back tonight, to exchange them for the correct size.

Me being the pragmatic type I am thought it was perfectly natural to stop by the hardware store on the way to the opera.

But, it's funny the things that happen when you get a person "out of context".

I've been to that hardware store many times. Often, I have to hunt someone down to help me.

But not tonight!

Did I need help with anything? Was I finding everything OK? Did I need a hand?

Offers of help seemed to come from nowhere... and everywhere!

I was a bit flabbergasted, actually.

Then I figured it out... There didn't appear to be anyone else in the store in a fitted black dress, a pair of heels and lipstick.

At the opera, I simply blended in with everyone else. At the hardware store, I was "out of context". Same person in both places of course... That's the irony of it!

Anyway, the opera was delightful, with very clever staging and sets.

I came home a bit too tuckered to change the rest of the cupboard handles out, but I'll get to it on the weekend, I'm sure.

15 comments:

Turtle Guy said...

All those offers of help... hmm... maybe you WILL get those cupboards done this weekend! ;)

Anonymous said...

So, you've decided to sell after all? Well, the market's so hot I'm sure you'll have no trouble.

Downhillnut said...

Have I mentioned that I work for a Realtor? A really nice one?

The market is a little tricky right now - not as blazing as it was 6 weeks ago.

Backofpack said...

Sarah, That's too funny, and a compliment to you. Did you bat your eyes and give them the "little ol' me" routine? Or did you wow 'em with hardware talk and leave them dreaming about the gorgeous chick who knows her hardware?

Sarah Elaine said...

BoP - DAH-ling! Which do you think I did? (wink!)

Anyone want to guess? Hhhmm.... I'll see if there are any takers and let you know in a few days who wins.

Legs and Wings said...

Ah, she wowed 'em with her hardware talk. Tough call because our opera lover is also a maritimer - theys got that magic eh. Tough call.

I'm going with the hardware talk.

Jeanette said...

A little black dress and heels in the hardware store not to mention the the extra help Hope you get all the cupboards finished as planned

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Hmmm next time I go shopping I think I'll wear a little black number...lol.

Good luck with the sale.

Backofpack said...

I'm guessing hardware talk. You know how that gets a guy drooling, that and little black dresses. Plus, I'm guessing you are the kind of girl who tells it like it is...

Unknown said...

Oh my, you were using hardware talk in a sleek black dress. You must have left all the men defenseless.

zouzou said...

and you did get to it - they look mah-velous!

Anonymous said...

hmm, very interesting!

Rose said...

The power of the little black dress strikes again! I'm guessing you added the "hardware talk" - making you all the more irresistable!

Ginger Breadman said...

How hilarious! You should play a game . . . dress up next time you go to a sporting event, and next time you go to a nice restaurant, wear some clothes you do yardwork or housework in - see the kind of reactions you get.

Anonymous said...

And I was at an opera on the very same night... half way across the world!