Thursday, January 19, 2006

Another exercise epiphany

So, I had another fitness epiphany the other day.

Sat down and typed out three solid, single-spaced pages about it. (I'll spare you the details.)

You see... I've been troubled by something...

Yes, I've been going to the gym regularly. Yes, I am less intimidated now. You could even say I like it. (I can hear Z. shrieking as I write that...)

But I've been asking myself, "How do I know this is a lifestyle change and not just some fad?" It just didn't feel like part of my lifestyle. (I'm sure Trainer would be happy to see I can "feel" things... though in this case, once again, I was perturbed precisely by what I was not feeling...)

Then I clued in.

In order for it to be part of my lifestyle, fitness and exercise must be connected… fundamentally and profoundly intertwined with… one's values and what’s important to a person as a human being. If not, it won’t work… not long term.

At least, that was my theory.

Finally, the light bulb went off in my head… and I saw the connection. I felt like a fairly major piece clicked into place and suddenly, it all made sense.

I suppose you’re all wondering what it is, eh?

Well, maybe I’ll post about that next time…


For now... any guesses?!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So cruel! That post is like when a movie ends and they set it up for a sequel and you have to wait until then to find out what happens next. I will come back for the sequel, no guesses from me. Too much learning overload with all my classes so I can't think straight.

A note on my food log: That was a light day of eating and typically I eat more than that. These past couple of days have been some high mileage days and I have been pretty exhausted and have eaten a bit more, but no fast food splurges lately and I am eating fat free pudding with fat free cool whip for dessert tonight. I am sure the ice cream splurge will come sometime this weekend.

Turtle Guy said...

You're delving into the realm of belief systems - as in you must change what you BELIEVE exercise and fitness to be. If you don't believe them to be components of your lifestyle, they aren't. There's a difference between Sarah, a person who exercises and Sarah the exerciser. It's the difference between doing and being...

Amber said...

I have no guesses, but I'm glad you posted this ... and you had better post the conclusion as this is a topic that has been running through my mind as well and I would love to have your input!

ipodmomma said...

figs... it has to do with figs...

well, you did say guess... :))))

M A F said...

Ah, the proverbial cliffhanger...

My guesses are in the form of questions. And they are:

Might your ephiphany be an extension of your earlier posts regarding "doing" and "being"?

Or is the answer found in either of the following answers/questions? Are you going to build your life around exercise? Or will you build exercise around your life?

wthenrest said...

Both turtle guy and MAF have very profound answers to your profound question. I have to agree and add that if the exercise is something you think you 'should' do and not 'want' to do, that will make a difference in if it stays a part of your life or is just a task. I am glad someone else has the same Dilemma. Thanks for bringing it to the forefront.